When you’re looking to put your own unique stamp on your property’s landscaping, few projects offer greater impact than a pondless waterfall. These graceful, stone-lined water features add plenty of natural beauty while adding the visual interest of height and texture, along with the calming sounds of running water. You can even convert a pondless waterfall into a koi pond for future use, which makes this water feature a great investment for years to come.
What Is a Pondless Waterfall?
A pondless waterfall is a water feature that siphons water to the top of a stone wall or spillway with a motorized pump. The water trickles back down along the rocks and boulder and is collected in a small basin. This rock-lined basin is very shallow and holds only a few inches of water.
Pondless waterfalls require little-to-no maintenance and attract wildlife such as birds, butterflies and local frogs. They are a safe choice for children thanks to the very shallow basin, and they add value to your property as a bespoke design feature. Because they are made with natural stone boulders, no two pondless waterfalls are exactly alike. Yours will follow the unique curves of your property and blend in with your overall landscape design for a cohesive, one-of-a-kind look.
Pondless Waterfall Costs in Somerset County, NJ
In general, a typical pondless waterfall for an NJ home costs between $8,500 and $60,000 — or even more. That’s a wide range, and there are several factors that will ultimately affect the price.
- Size: More than anything else, size matters when it comes to pricing out a pondless waterfall. Some are only 6 feet high and wide, while others can be up to 80 feet long. The larger the water feature, the more material is required to build it, and this adds to the cost. Height also plays a role, as lifting heavy boulders into place is more difficult than laying stones on at a grade.
- Materials: Natural stone is the way to go when it comes to building a pondless waterfall, as they will look the most realistic in your setting. The variety of stone you choose can influence the price, as can the size of the boulders. Moving large, heavy stones into place may require additional labor.
- The Lay of the Land: The condition of your soil can also have an impact on the price of a pondless waterfall. If there’s a lot of rock or large boulders just under the topsoil, these will need to be excavated before the build, which can add to the difficulty and cost of the project.
- Distance: The location of your water feature can also affect the price. Pondless waterfalls that are very far from an electrical source will require longer runs for wires, which should be placed underground. This adds to the labor required for the build and will increase the price.
Benefits of a Pondless Waterfall
Adding a water feature to your property has many benefits, including the following:
- Serenity: Getting in touch with nature is a major mood booster, and a water feature creates a welcoming, peaceful sanctuary in your backyard. The sound of running water helps block unwanted neighborhood noises and helps you relax, so it’s a great investment in your overall wellbeing.
- Safety: Because a pondless waterfall has only a few inches of standing water to feed the fountain, it’s a much safer choice for any neighborhood. It won’t require the same level of fencing that a swimming pool does to keep curious neighborhood children away, and it shouldn’t create concerns for your insurance company.
- Luxury: A pondless waterfall designed especially for your property adds a luxurious touch to your overall landscaping plan. It turns a basic backyard into a more regal, estate-like property and becomes a signature conversation piece for guests. It’s also a surefire way to boost your property’s resale value for the future.
Pondless Waterfalls Are Not DIY Jobs
For best results, custom water features should be designed and installed by a professional landscape architect. This will ensure that your water flows properly and that all the basics of good design are met. The shape, size and materials of your pondless waterfall will all be in keeping with the overall look of your home and property. A functional, beautiful landscape requires many things to be taken into account: the flow of traffic in and around your backyard, the prevailing winds and weather patterns, the sun’s angle at certain times of day — the list goes on. Professional designers know how to make all these factors work to your advantage to create a water feature that will exceed your expectations.
It also takes a professional to handle all the ins and outs of construction, from delivering materials that literally weigh a ton to securing any and all necessary building permits in Somerset County. Working with irregular boulders and natural stone is a skill that takes years to develop, so you want to make sure you work with an experienced landscaper to get the job done right.
When that job is complete, all you need to do is sit back and enjoy the peaceful scene as the sounds of soothing water transform your garden into a restful sanctuary.
Why Choose Parker Homescape?
We have transformed hundreds of landscapes in and around the Somerset, Hunterdon, Essex and Union County areas, including Summit, Gladstone and Bedminster since our founding in 2006. Unlike many of our competitors, we undertake only one client project at a time, ensuring that every deadline is met and that every detail is considered. Additionally, a lead foreman with over 30 years of experience oversees your project from start to finish. This approach makes us one of the most sought after landscape design companies in Central New Jersey, and translates into a seamless, stress-free experience for you and your family.
Whether creating a stunning pondless waterfall, installing custom landscape lighting or building a custom outdoor fireplace, we believe that each landscape project is unique. We proudly promise customized solutions, superior customer service and competitive pricing for each of our clients.